<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 18, 2004

My second post

Day one of voting, done with. This is always the longest night. . . last year was different, because I was almost sure that I'd win my Councilor election (Failed Exec candidates not running against other failed Exec candidates always get elected) and equally sure that I'd lose my Presidential one, so there was no suspense. The year before was different because, even though there was plenty of suspense, there wasn't much at stake - a defeat in the VPOF election would just mean a continuation of the status quo, in which I held no elected office. Running for re-election while uncertain of your chances is worse than any of the others. The closest parallel might be my high school Presidential election, though voting only took one day and the general consensus seemed to be that I'd win, even if I was less sure.

Wow, I've been reduced to reminiscing about my high school political career - time for a subject change.

Yes, a change in subject. . . to U of C S.U. elections! As I write, the Review Board is meeting to determine whether the irregularities in the online voting system were affected the election materially enough to justify running the whole thing again. I'm on pins, or possibly needles, waiting to find out. Because I'm a hack.

Watched last night's Survivor (the only television worth watching) tonight. Ethan went off. I'm sure Lex knows what he's doing, though. And Rupert - I'm sure that he knows what he's doing too. That is, I'm sure Rupert knows what Rupert's doing. I doubt he has the vaguest idea of what Lex is doing.

Anand called. He wanted to know what voter turnout had been like. There are nine of them (arts candidates) running for nine positions, and he's a little worried too, even though defeat wouldn't alter his status quo. I guess it's because we're former Exec, and the S.U. is still (malgré mes efforts) pretty Exec-centric. We're the titans, we shouldn't lose. What a beautiful system it is, though, that forces the self-perceived titans to throw themselves annually before the masses, who are unimpressed because nobody has taught them to identify a titan. But I said I wasn't talking about the election any more.

Is it the thinkers who make history, or the actors? Is the actor the puppet of the thinker, or the one with the courage to implement the thinker's ideas?

Last CD listened to: Paul Simon, "Songs from the Cape Man"
Book being Read: Andrew Cohen and J.L. Granatstein, "Trudeau's Shadow" (which, despite my six year long fascination with Trudeau, I have somehow managed not yet to have read).

I should go for a run.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares