<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 02, 2004

The Circle of Life

Is there anything quite like discovering that an e-mail address that was once yours now belongs to somebody else? A random Google search today lead me to the unsettling realization that carlosthejackass@hotmail.com now belongs to one Carlos Donoso.

Though, truth be told, I haven't thought of it in quite a while, this discovery brings all of the memories flooding back. . . it was with carlosthejackass that I kept in touch with the acquaintances I made at Forum for Young Canadians, all of with whom I have long since lost touch. It was from carlosthejackass that I sent my first columns for the St. Albert Gazette. And it was carlosthejackass that I abandoned when the spam became too much. Of course, that was only part of it - I was lured away by steve.smith@ualberta.ca, by the promise of a bigger inbox, and the promise of being "Steve Smith" instead of "Steve Smith 842," the best I ever could have hoped for with Hotmail.

I think of sending Mr. Donoso an angry e-mail, telling him that carlosthejackass was meant for me and me only, that he can never be to it what I was. But then I realize that that would be selfish, and foolish. I cast carlosthejackass aside like an unwanted friend. I moved on with my life. How could I expect that it wouldn't go on to be used by others? After all, it was quite a catch - I still remember the way my heart fluttered when I discovered that the address was available, how I resolved to make it mine.

And besides, it's not as though I'm upset with my present situation; things are going well with steve.smith, and I'm generally very happy. What are regrets but the unproductive enemies of contentment?

No, I wish Mr. Donoso and his new e-mail address the utmost happiness. He's a lucky man.

As for me, I can barely read my monitor through the tears. . .

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares