<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 19, 2004

I should be depressed, my life's a mess, but I'm having a good time

The good news is that this is shaping up to be the first term since Winter 2001 in which I pass one hundred percent of my courses. The bad news is that my GPA is still likely to be the lowest it's been in a while. I blame the four point scale.

Consider a hypothetical student who takes three courses gets a D, a C-, and a C+ (this student, by the way, truly is hypothetical - if you think I'm posting my grades on my blog, you're crazy). This student will have a GPA of 1.67, and will be immediately required to withdraw, without benefit of academic probation. Those grades' alleged equivalents under the nine point scale would be 4, 5, and 6, respectively, which would result in a GPA of 5 - the student would be permitted to continue studies without even being put on academic probation. I'm also wondering the rationale of requiring students who pass all of their courses to withdraw, while allowing students who fail a substantial minority of their courses but pass the others by large margins to continue. Of course, if we reversed the situation I'd have been kicked out of school some time ago, so perhaps I ought to stop examining that gift horse's mouth.

Oh, and I'm still unemployed, though I applied today for a position with the Edmonton Bar Association for which I consider myself eminently qualified. However, there's only on position, and I imagine that it will be pretty hotly contested, so I'm not holding my breath. I've also put in an application at the plastics factory at which my sister works, though it's worth noting that they wouldn't hire me last summer. If I get truly desparate, I'm pretty well guaranteed to be able to find a spot with a planting company, but that would entail missing Council all summer, and I am truly loathe to do that.

As long as I'm cramming all of my angst into one post, I should note that several people with whom I graduated from high school are now graduating from University and beginning to act like real adults in the sense of renting apartments and getting full-time jobs. Fortunately, since most of my friends from high school are academically-inclined, a good portion of those who graduate this year are moving directly on to graduate studies, which means that I won't notice the difference except insofar as I can no longer count on their votes in Students' Union elections. Perhaps I could convince some of them to take over the GSA.

Still, though, as the title indicates, I can't quite bring myself to be depressed over any of this. That may prove to be to my detriment, but for the time being, I'm enjoying life.

This has been a remarkably boring entry. I promise that my next one will be more rant-like.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares