<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 31, 2004

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter

After hearing nothing since the writ dropped, two of my candidates returned my e-mails today. First, Conservative incumbent John Williams had a peon e-mail me to request my phone number - apparently, Mr. Williams is one of those irritating people who seems to believe that e-mail is nothing more than a state of the art phone message taking system. I provided my phone number, but reiterated that I would prefer an e-mailed response.

Somewhat more satisfactory was the response from Green candidate Conrad Bitangcol, who acknowledged receipt of my questions, thanked me for asking them, committed to answering them at some point in the next couple of days, and invited me to a weekly discussion group he runs Monday nights at seven. I'll probably go, since, as I've mentioned elsewhere in this space, my life is completely pointless.

Still no word from Liberal candidate Muhummad "Moe" Saeed, despite the fact that he was the first to receive my e-mail. My impression from his literature and media coverage is that he's completely out of his depth in this election, but I shall give him every opportunity to reverse that impression through firsthand contact.

Rounding out the candidate list in Edmonton-St. Albert is New Democrat Mike Melymick, for whom I have not yet been able to procure contact information of any kind. In this I am in good company, though, since the NDP National Office doesn't seem to have any contact information for him either.

In other news, now that I'm employed a haircut is imminent. My Consultant on Such Matters advises me that I should seek to emulate Owen Wilson's character in The Big Bounce. I will probably instead wind up telling the barber to do whatever he wants with it, and end up with something approximating a Caesar, only more bowl-inspired.

Conceivably to come later: a critique of the New Democrats' platform, now that I've managed to download it.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares