<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, May 15, 2004

I'll give you a clue: it's an intrusive and unnecessary federal registry that's a complete waste of money.

It's not that I'm setting out to write about nothing but politics, it's just that the politics keep happenning...I promise to keep it brief, this time.

The big news, of course, is that the Conservative Party's preliminary campaign document has been leaked to the press. In amongst all of the promises for tax cuts and condemnations of the government's referral of the marriage question to the Supreme Court, one item stands out - a promise to create a voter registry of the sort that exists in the United States, in which each voter would be tied to a political party.

Speaking of the marriage question, the Conservatives have staked out the "Pro-Traditional Family" territory, while the Liberals are "Pro-Equal Rights." Frankly, I think politics would be a lot more fun if the parties would agree to define themselves by exclusion, such that the Conservatives self-identified as "Anti-Equal Rights" while the Liberals could be "Anti-Traditional Family." And yes, I feel the same way about the abortion question (for any of you who are wondering, I'm Anti-Life on that one).

I note with some satisfaction that on the front page of today's Edmonton Journal, in what I can only assume is in response to my May 12 entry, is an exposé on the Klein government's use of the Public Affairs Bureau for political purposes (later in Section A, there's also a story on how it has effectively replaced the Legislature with the Tory Caucus, by replacing Legislature standing committees with Standing Policy Committees of the Tory caucus, another injustice on which I was harping long before the Journal started paying attention). Remember, folks, you read it here first. Unless you're one of those lazy bags of puss who didn't read my May 12 entry on account of it being long or containing big words. That's right, Knisely, Sam, I'm looking in your direction. Man, it's a good thing that you both live South of me, so I can look the direction of both of you simultaneously.

Dutiful grandson that I am, I drove my grandmother to the airport this morning. Circumstances were. . . different last time I was there. Ah, well, memories no doubt better left euthanized.

From the Steve Links to People Who Say Nice Things About Him Department, Vanessa Thomas has identified me as the fourth most amusing category of people to hang out with on campus, after 'Geers, Comp Sci students, and rugby players. No word on where pirates fit in. Duncan Taylor, meanwhile, offers the following thoughts in comparing me to Survivor contestant Alicia Calaway:

"Best fight [in Survivor history - S.]: I prefer the Kimmi and Alicia one as the best. "I will always wave my finger in your face'. Way to make friends and influence people. She's like the Steve Smith of survivor. Except she's female. And athletic. And could win an SU Presidential election."

I resent the insinuation that I'm unathletic. Additionally, I'm mildly creeped out by the fact that this represents the fourth straight blog entry in which Duncan's mentioned me.

To close, as any number of Homestar Runner fans seem to be saying these days: "Rock, rock on."

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares