<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 28, 2004

You can say that I've grown bitter, but of this you may be sure:
The rich have got their cameras in the bedrooms of the poor


I was going to use this space to criticized the New Democrats' platform, especially the part about a 10% tuition rollback, but they don't seem to have posted the whole thing online yet, so I'm instead going to impart to you an irrelevant anecdote about my tree-planting days.

The breakdown in camp was about 40% anglo, 40% franco, and 20% other. One of the francophones, we'll call him "Jean-Luc" on account of that being his name, and I spent a good portion of the summer helping each other with our respective second languages. When I thought he had progressed far enough, I decided to introduce him to the venerable joke in which you tell somebody that they have a dickfor on their forehead, and they respond with "What's a dick for?", and then you laugh at them (little known fact: this was a mainstay of Woody Allen's standup routine for years).

Anyway, to say that Jean-Luc "got" this joke would be an understatement. He not only got the joke, he worshipped it. He thought it was the funniest thing that he'd ever heard. The thing is, he wasn't exactly selective in who he told the joke to. The following is very very close to an actual transcript between Jean-Luc and Olivier, a fellow francophone planter (who threatened to kill me with my own shovel if I didn't stop coughing at night, but that's a different story):

Jean-Luc: Hé, Olivier, you 'ave a dickfor on your fore 'ead.
Olivier: Quoi? C'est quoi ça, un "dickfor"?
Jean-Luc: No, no, speak to me in English.
Olivier: Tabernac.

Ah, a barrell of laughs was treeplanting. Next time, if you're lucky, I'll tell you the story about how Jean-François the tree hauler decided to pull a truck out of the mud by tying one end of a rope to the truck's bumper and the other end to a tree, and then cutting the tree down.

In other news: those of you who haven't read Vanessa Thomas' quiz results should do so immediately, because they're great (greatness being measured purely by the number of times I'm mentioned). Apparently, I'm the craziest person Ms. Thomas knows. I'm also half of the cutest couple at University (the other half being, of course, Webboard).

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares