<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

All alone, that captain stands;
Hasn't heard from his deckhands. . .


Before we move on to the federal election, there are a few other points that need addressing. . .

Democracy gets sucker-punched

Tragically, the U of C's Webboard is no more, as their Students' Legislative Council approved the motion to take it down by a vote of 10-5, with the five Executive officers making the difference.

Meannwhile, back in U-Hall. . .

I was attending what may have been the finest Council meeting of my career. Attendance requirements abolished (after what I think it is fair to say was the best Council debate ever to occur before June 2), omnibus committee referral motion trounced (admittedly, mostly because the motion's mover admitted that he really wasn't married to it), and the battle lines drawn for a battle over a supply motion. A supply motion endorsed by the Executive. A supply motion to fund an initiative that the victorious President talked about during the election campaign. And it's only June 2. Did I mention how great the Council meeting was?

Christ, people, I'm fine

People sometimes have bad days. I am a person. Therefore, I sometimes have bad days. And when I do, I sometimes choose to write about them. Perhaps my writing style is overly melodramatic, but writing about a bad day does not equate to going through a life crisis, okay? But thanks for your concern.

News from my tracker

1. It failed to record a single hit between ten am and three pm last Friday - now *that* was a life crisis.
2. To the person searching for ' "Stephen Harper" "Man Brests" ': yes, he has them. I'm hoping that's all you wanted to know. Please tell me you weren't seeking pictures.
3. Ditto for the guy trying to find ' "Jack Layton" speedo '.
4. To the two people who (or the one person who twice) found this site via a search for "http://carlosthejackass.blogspot.com" - what, could you not remember the url, or something?
5. To the person who found this by searching for 'cold-fx review opinion', here's mine: it's a big waste of money that doesn't work. I'd suggest drinking two bottles of Buckley's instead.
6. To the person who found this site by searching for 'safeway cashier test': bah. That is all.

The federal election, finally

1. In a last ditch effort to appeal to the Steve Smith vote, Paul Martin has identified "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as the greatest song ever written. That this is the most overrated song in Paul Simon's repertoire is scarcely relevant - I like a Prime Minister who likes Paul Simon. Sadly (for Martin), my vote will still be based on which of my local candidates likes Paul Simon the best.

2. Martin also identified "Achy Breaky Heart" as the worst song ever written. It seems to me that the good folks down at Blender Magazine could learn something from our Prime Minister - "We Built This City" indeed.

3. A Liberal minority is still, by far, the most likely outcome of this election. But a Conservative minority has now passed a Liberfal majority as the second most likely outcome.

4. I note with some satisfaction that Paul Martin is now trying to convince Canadians that a Conservative victory is possible - I predicted this strategy immediately after the write was dropped, because I rule.

More to come after my 4:45 to 11:30 shift. Whee!

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares