<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, September 18, 2004

The Return of the King

How did I know it was time to return to blogging? Consider the following exchange between Students' Union Chief Returning Officer Dane Bullerwell and I over Webboard (Dane, I know you never gave me permission to publish these conversations, but I think there's a valuable lesson at play here - to wit, I'm an unscrupulous weasel), in reference to my continued use of the word "Webboard" in place of "the Webboard":

Dane: I think we need a policy about the usage of definite articles before nouns.
Steve: The ommission is deliberate. Webboard is a proper noun. Webboard is my girlfriend. Why would I attach a definite article to my girlfriend, Dane?
Dane: Steve, I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but... Webboard dumped you. She left last July, while you were cheating on her with Blog. I suggest you pay more attention to Blog, or the same thing is going to happen.

Yes, indeed, it's time that I pay more attention to those things that matter to me in life. The only question was whether I should title this entry Make haste in getting the words right, and I'll tell you what's on my mind, or Just when you thought I couldn't get any cooler, I reveal to you my secret love for Finnish folk fiddling.

Since the above paragraph probably made sense to a total of two of my readers, and only partial sense to each of them, I will close with something we can all appreciate - Roman gets burnt by the Provost!

So the situation is this: Roman and I are walking through SUB last Friday evening, and we stumble across the post-event reception for the Celebration of Teaching and Learning, featuring University Vice President (Academic) and Provost Carl Amrhein (who clearly, despite once claiming before General Faculties Council that he and I had "crossed swords on pretty well every issue that's come up this year", had no idea who I was). The following hilarity ensued:

Roman: So, Celebration of Teaching and Learning, eh? I was at one of these things eight years ago.
Carl: That would have been the first one ever.

Carl: You know you can't get tenure here as a student, right Roman?

In other news, those of you who haven't already started reading it should make your way over to Super Fun Happy Amazing Hour!!! In Crisis!. It features cats.



|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares