<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 14, 2005

You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave


James Crossman, famous principally for being the best four month Councillor in the Students' Union's recent history, has started a blog and will receive, as a token of my esteem, a mention on my sidebar whenever get around to it. Looking for a way that *you* can celebrate this momentous occasion? Go vote.

In other news, I've finally, fifteen or so years late, achieved an appreciation for academia - you know, learning (in a formal setting) for the sake of learning, and all that. There are feelings welling up within me that I have not experienced since those heady days of Math and Chem AP taught by the legendary Percy Zalasky and Gene Osoba, respectively. Only trouble is that this feeling does not seem to apply to business courses, and I'm out of non-business electives after this term. This love of academia has also convinced me that I want to teach - not in University, mind you, since even I'm not delusional enough to think that it's a good idea to follow up on my six year undergraduate degree with another undergraduate degree - in something that actually interests me - and a PhD or some such, but what about that whole two year B. Ed after degree? I mean, teaching math to teenagers is basically what I do for money now, and I love it. Let me teach that and a couple of other subjects (social studies? chemistry?) and I could be happy.

Or what about getting a real job in the near future and moving out of my parents' basement? While its status as a real job is in doubt, my name seems to be coming up in the Students' Union election rumour mill for President, and I'd be lying if I said that the position had lost its appeal for me during the last two years. On the other hand, there's another job that's going to be open soon, in which I've also heard my name mentioned and for which I also have some amount of enthusiasm, as well as a comment from the incumbent - whose opinion I respect on this matter as well as others - that an application from me would be "worth considering" (which basically translates to "unlikely to cause me to wet myself with laughter" - still better than I'd anticipated). But then there's the degree, the completion of which is beckoning like some sort of an elusive mistress who keeps threatening to kick me out of bed (suggestions for better similes are welcome). What to do? Bestow upon me a pellet of your wisdom, Blog!

Just so long as it doesn't conflict with any of my preconceived notions.

Coming within the next month: Steve gets less self-absorbed. But not by much.

(There's something very wrong with a world in whose spell-checkers the word "smilies" is included, but the word "similes" is not. Peace be with you.)

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares