<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, May 14, 2005

My last entry on the Parliamentary situation for the foreseeable future - I promise. Though I reserve the right to break that promise.

First of all, anybody who was, inexplicably, *saddened* by this entry's headline should head over to POI, where the debate between Mustafa and me continues apace.

That being said, I'm about to cease my recent practise of defending Paul Martin and return to my more time-honoured practise of not defending him. In the context of the present Parliantary situation, his recent inaction has been inexcusable. The Conservatives and Bloc having abandoned their obligation to attempt to make Parliament work, it is now incumbent on the Prime Minister to either declare Parliament non-functional and ask the Governor-General for its dissolution, or move a motion of confidence in his government, to clear the air. Either action would likely result in a Spring election, which is - sadly - now largely inevitable. It would be my hope that Canadians would punish Conservative and Bloc incumbents for their irresponsible gamesmanship, but that's ultimately up to the voters.

The present crisis is not of Paul Martin's making, but it needs resolution, and the Prime Minister is in a position to resolve it. He should do so.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares