<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Elections Talk from Around the Blogosphere

First of all, Shannon posts an uncharacteristically-lucid editorial from the Edmonton Sun.

Next up, Sean Tisdall with a very intelligent economic analysis of the Conservative child care plan.

Then comes my personal favourite, Spencer Keys with a post on a brilliant Labour ad from the U.K.'s last election. I don't make a habit of weighing in on the quality of campaign television ads, because they're pretty well all bunk, but this one's something special (and I don't care for the present state of the Labour Party). If you don't realize how remarkable ad this is, I'd encourage you to compare it with the offerings from the Liberals and the Conservatives so far this election. I agree with the near-universal scorn to be have been heaped on the Conservative ads (and I don't think the French ones are much better), and, unlike some, I don't care for the Liberal ones much either. While they get points for not including any politicians, the tone is a little too similar to Trudeau's 1972 "The Land is Strong" or St-Laurent's 1957 "You Never Had It So Good". They may be positive, but they could do without the smugness. In fact, it's probably no stretch to call the Labour ad to which Spencer's linked the first campaign ad I've ever seen that I liked - my reasons are in his comments section.

That crime post is still coming, by the way, but I need to compile a few data to make it viable.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares