<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?

So many of you have been urging me, for no apparent reason, to start this sucker back up, and for some reason what it takes to make it happen is for Chris! over at Covered In Oil to tage me with one of these stupid blog surveys. Go figure, huh?

1. Have you ever been in a fantasy league?

I popped that particular cherry last season with my entry into the Gateway Cup, the now legendary Plural of Mongoose. Highlights of the season include my clever decision to take a chance on Sidney Crosby in the fourth round, my thirteenth round steal of Shawn Horcoff, and my late season pickup of Cristobel Huet. Lowlight included my drafting Roman Chechmanek (Paul Owen assured me he was L.A.'s starter going into the season), my trading away Jonathan Cheechoo twice (the guy I traded him to in the first instance dropped him, and I picked him back up), and my screwing up my number one waiver priority and consequently managing not to get Alexander Ovechkin. In the end, I finished second in the sixteen team league during the regular season, but choked in the playoffs for an overall fourth place finish.

2. What was the first jersey you ever owned?

Um, my Family Furniture Fireballs hockey jersey? That's all I can think of. Sorry.

3. Top 5 sports books

Hmm. As a kid, I used to read a lot of Matt Christopher - does that count?

4. 10 favorite athletes

Off the top of my head, in no order, and surely forgetting some who should obviously be on here:

Mark Messier
Steve Yzerman
Todd Marchant
Larry Wruck
Rod Connop
Blake Marshall
Steve Krupey
Brendan Shanahan
Ryan Smyth
Damon Allen

Apparently I'm a huge homer. Also, I was apparently a huge Esks fan in the early nineties. Note that this list omits all of the early twentieth century baseball players to whom I'm growing rather attached through playing Baseball Mogul 2007.

5. Three Athletes I secretly admire but am ashamed to admit it for fear of ridicule

Let's go with five:

Steve Smith (the NHL one - do I really have a choice?)

Ty Conklin (it's funny - I loathe Fernando Pisani for proving me so very wrong in my assessment of his abilities, but I bear Ty Conklin no ill will for doing exactly the same thing, but in reverse)

Theoren Fleury (say what you will about the guy, and most of it will be accurate, but this is once-dominant NHL-er who, when his NHL career and personal life were in shambles, decided to play in a Northern Alberta seniors' league - can you see Alexei Yashin doing the same?)

Darryl Strawberry (oh, the nefarious influence of the Simpsons on a non-baseball fan)

Ricky Williams (it's impossible to pay attention to this man without having it driven home to you just how stupid professional sports really are)

6. The 5 people I tag are:

Not that any of these people are still checking on this place on account of it being dead to the world, but I tag Mike Garlough, Kyle Kawanami, Mike Hudema, Jake "Rainbow" Troughton, and Catrin Berghoff.

I'll post something about politics as soon as I figure out what the hell's been going on the last four months.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares