<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 14, 2006

How Serious Am I About This Newfound Stéphane Dion Fixation?

I just sent him a hundred bucks. For those who are counting, that makes the first time I've supported financially supported any political party or candidate by any means besides the purchase of Big Rock's fine range of products since I bought a Progressive Conservative Party of Canada membership, circa 2000.

Despite all the fanfare about how the huge number of candidates means that anybody could emerge as a compromise candidate, of the ten remaining contenders the only ones that have *any* chance of winning this thing are Ignatieff, Rae, Dion, Dryden, and Kennedy. And the last two's chances are very small indeed (this isn't the same thing as saying those are the ones who deserve to win - I think Martha Hall Finlay and Carolyn Bennett are both considerably more credible than either Bob Rae or Gerard Kennedy, but so it goes).

My money's still on Ignatieff, and, truth be told, the party could do a lot worse. But that there is even one person who has a legitimate shot at becoming Prime Minister of Canada in the next decade who legitimately excites me is a very pleasant and unfamiliar sensation.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares